Tuesday, February 21, 2012

a series of thoughts on the topic of fear.

As I've gotten older, I am no longer afraid of many things such as ghosts, monsters, the dark and clowns, and that scares me. I'm afraid of the pattern I see in myself of being less afraid of everything. I'm afraid life would be boring without fear, (of course it would suck with too much) because isn't fear the underlying and driving emotion behind risk? And risk is nothing without the fear of failure. And reward is nothing without the risk to achieve it. And a life without risk or reward would be so boring... And I'm afraid of being bored. Of being boring. Because I'm afraid of not being remembered.
I'm afraid of not leaving a positive impact behind.
I'm afraid of wasting my time.
But I guess I'm just being silly, because if I really didn't have any fears whatsoever, of death, failure, fear itself, etc, then that would give me a license to do whatever I want. Because with no risk I would have nothing to lose. I could fight bears or ski the most dangerous mountains, maybe ride the biggest wave. My life would be awesome. So I guess that if my only fear is not having fears, then I'm really not afraid of anything. If that makes sense. This has been a progression of thoughts on the topic of fear...

1 comment:

  1. so if your not really afraid of anything, hasn't your biggest fear just come true?

    #bombdrop

    ReplyDelete