Monday, February 6, 2012

What is Love? (not the haddaway song)

my ramblings on love.

Though love is one of the most fundamental emotions, and probably the most important,  Many people's  definition revolves around its attributes, but do not capture the true nature of what it really is. This job has been left to the poets and songwriters throughout the ages as they yell out the passion and intensity of love.  Trying to define love is like  trying to describe the taste of salt to someone. To some it can't be defined. But it can definitely be described. Love, this one emotion, manifests itself in so many situations, that descriptions of it are as broad and varied as the people and the things we love.
Love is like a cloud
Love is like a blanket
Love is like a dream

screw it.

Love is a cheat code to sex.
Love is the firing of chemicals in the back of the brain.
Love is a franchise
Love is obedient and love is free, because love is relative to the expectations of the time. Some say "Love is patient"(bible), others say "hello, I love you"(the doors). A little contradictory aye?
So again, what is love? we have some issues, seeing as this one emotion seems to act so different in different situations. And as we know through studies of the limbic system (look it up) people can feel the same emotions differently from other people. (weird huh?) Anyways, love is a cliche, a firing of neurons and a rush of hormones. This time standing still and love a first sight is a result of this, other side effects include the dilating of pupils, and your heart beating faster. Interestingly enough, this is how your body prepares for exercise, to keep the human race going. It keeps our species alive.  It is clearly defined by scientists and psychologists as the combination of intimacy passion and commitment.

I am not trying to say that love is a trick that brings one unhappiness, but just my view on things. I think love is great and is something that even through science will never be completely comprehended. Through my personal research I still don't claim to "get" what love is... but I still act on it, I choose on it, I am helped and hurt by it, and none of us would be here without it.  Happy Valentines.

8 comments:

  1. fantastic and descriptive writing! love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I gotta say this was super entertaining, it was pretty in description and completely true in the end. I liked it!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha I gotta say this was super entertaining, it was pretty in description and completely true in the end. I liked it!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha I gotta say this was super entertaining, it was pretty in description and completely true in the end. I liked it!

      Delete
  2. A good teacher probably wouldn't use the line "love is a cheat code for sex" as a good example in class.

    But dude.

    That was a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Trying to define love is like trying to describe the taste of salt to someone." That's true.
    I also like your drastic turn half-way through "Screw It" Now, that's how you really feel isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i went to ultimategamer.com/cheatcodes and i couldn't find the love code

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Love is a cheat code to sex."
    Where do you get your cheat codes??!

    ReplyDelete